Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Descent into Writing: It Never Ends

I wrote OotGG about two years ago in a few days. I felt really good about it. The story just flowed out. In some ways, it felt like magic. The only problem was that I wanted to shoot OotGG, which meant one thing:

Rewrites. Endless rewrites.

I am not a big fan of rewriting.  I have written about five full length scripts. When I finish with one, I get a feeling of pride, print it out and than never really look at it again. Probably not the best attitude to have. Lord knows I'm only human.


Even though I wanted to be a Lizardman. Thanks a lot, God.

This was a time that I couldn't just write the movie and leave it. I had to do rewrites. Even if I didn't want to, but as I said at the start of this production log; this project was pushing my limits in many different aspects. Over the last couple years, I have been rewriting OotGG on-and-off. I would pick it up, read through it, make a couple changes and then put it back. It wasn't till about August of 2013 that I really amped up my rewriting game.

That summer, I knew I had to pick an idea for my capstone as my time as a student was getting shorter and shorter. With the help of my professor, Ben Braten, and my good friend, Judea Runs Through, they convinced me that OotGG was a great project and that I should commit to it. Once I did, I started rewriting like mad. The script started to morph and to change. Which was a interesting phenomenon. Ben and Judea were always there to read my rewrites and offer great feedback. They are great to have in a writers corner because they will speak up when the writing is sub par. I am eternally grateful for the two of them. Even if they are the worst people I know.

The rewrites get more frequent to more I work with the actors. When Ben Banks agreed to be the star and to proceed full steam, we would talk about his character and throw ideas back and forth. The character of Caleum begin to evolve after every discussion we had. When Darcee was cast as Abby, her scene was rewritten to fit how Ben Banks and Darcee interacted with each other.

When we started to train with Robert Savala little elements of the fights were rewritten. Robert had a great idea to have the character's fights progress through out the film. It changed from Caleum showing up to a fight, beating the guy and getting paid. The fights now have their own arc. It starts with Caleum's first fight being wild and chaotic. He is unsure and rusty in his fighting abilities. The 2nd fight is in a very tight and claustrophobic space which means Caleum has to adapt and learn. The 3rd fight is on uneven ground and against a fighter who is superior. Caleum must use everything he has learned from his previous bouts and really dig deep to win.

This is but a small taste of the rewriting that has been going on and it won't certainly be the last. This story is a living, breathing animal that is growing and learning. I figure the rewrites will stop when the movie is finished. This idea is both exciting and a bit disheartening. Exciting to make a story grow and change from what I originally envisioned. Disheartening because I will always be looking back and wondering if I made the right choices.

It's especially difficult because I write with ye olde pen and ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment