Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My 1st Date with Storyboarding

This is the first film project I have worked on that I have used storyboards which I never used before. Not because I have anything against storyboards, but because I am terrible at drawing. With OotGG I wanted it to be more thought out than my previous projects. With the help of amazing artist, Andrew Mitchell, I dipped my toes into the story boarding pool.

Not only a great artist, but he looks like Nicholas Cage.

On a camping trip with my friends we got on the subject of OotGGs. A buddy of mine, Andrew Mitchell, was very interested in my idea and wondered if he could help out in any way. I didn't know what he could do, but told him why not. I have no budget and could use all the help I could get. Andrew mentioned helping with story boarding. Having never using them, I figured this would be a fun and new adventure. We made a date and planned on story boarding one of the most critical scenes in the movie:

Abby's Death.

A few weeks later, we met at the Holland building and quickly got to work. The thing about Andrew is he is an AMAZING artist. He has had many galleries in the area show his art, he is always top in his art classes and he recently got hired by a slot machine company to do the art for their newest wave of slot machines. Yeah, he is out of the league of this project. As previously stated, I have never worked with an artist to story board. I brought a whole bunch of things I thought I would need; the script, a book on camera angles, paper and pencils, and most important of all, Funyuns.

Essential for ANY film.  - Martin Scorsese

We talked about the characters and what their dramatic needs were for the scene. Motivations of both Caleum and Abby and what the ultimate point of the scene is. All the while, Andrew is drawing on his tablet. Getting a feel for who Caleum and Abby are. After about an hour of talking about the characters, we got to work breaking down the scene. It was a bit difficult because I had not locked on a location for this scene, but Andrew assured me that it can be tweaked once we find the location.

I have to admit, doing a story board was really eye opening. Story boarding really helped me get a feel and look of the scene. In my head, I can see it plain as day and it is sometimes hard trying to explain it to others much less show them. Working with Andrew was great because he knew what I wanted, added his own little touches and together we created a great foundation for the scene. If time and scheduling permits, I would love to story board the rest of the scenes and the entire film.

Here is what we came up with. 

Caleum at Abby's bedside, brushing her hair and keeping her company.
The two of them sharing an intimate moment.
Caleum makes a crack about the staff.
Time for Abby's pills. Abby is trying to bring up a tough question.
Abby is trying to get a promise out of Caleum. Caleum, wanting to get out of the uncomfortable situation, agrees.
Caleum leaves Abby. This is the last time he will see her.

I know it will most likely change especially once we get the location locked down. Even though changes will happen, story boarding has given a huge boost in my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment